Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Feeding the Birds

Yesterday we did an activity that we have been meaning to do for a few months now.  making a bird feeder.  I had picked up some corn cobs last fall while we went through a corn maze.  Back then I knew that I wanted to do something with them, but could figure out an activity that I knew we'd like to do with them.  It was my husband that came up with the idea.  

Spider-Dad: "Why not make bird feeders?"
Me: "Brilliant!"

Okay that's not really what happen but close.  So how did I come up with this?  Well i took the idea from one I remembering doing once with some preschool kids, when I taught preschool.  So here is how we made our bird feeders (that are enviormental safe).


Supplies:
  • Dry corn cob (1 per feeder)
  • Peanutbutter (We used soy butter)
  • Bird seeds
  • String
  • Plate
  • Plastic Knife


1) Tight String on larger end of the cob.

2) Spread peanutbutter on cob.

3)  On a plate put some bird seeds.


4)  Roll cob in bird seeds.











5)  Then hang.





With the unused seed that are left on the plate you can feed the birds that are around with.  We did this with most of the rest of ours.  Hand full of some of the seeds were eaten by Baby hulk.  He manged to get a hold of them while we were hanging the bird feeders and I was taking pictures.  

I had to include some pictures of him eating the seeds...

 ...and trying to throw birds seeds.

I like how you can see seed on his face.


















No comments:

Post a Comment