Friday, April 15, 2011

Needs a Bit of Butter

This last week we learned about the different thing that the pioneers made with the milk from their cows.  We even gotten a chance to make some.  One thing we made was butter.  It was quite fun and didn't take as long as I thought it would.

My husband like how it came out and suggested that we make our own butter from now on.  Its not a bad idea and to tell you the truth it would last a long while.  We don't use butter to much in out house unless I'm baking cookies.  Wonder Girl has a milk allergy. (She not lactose intolerant.  She allergic to milk and all the proteins that make it up.) So if I made a larger batch of butter it will be in my refrigerator for a while.

The longest and hardest part about making butter was the shaking of the jar.  It ended up take almost an hour to do.  But everyone helped out in doing that. 

Pouring int the whipping cream.
Dare-Devil Boy shaking the cream


Wonder Girl taking her turn shaking the jar.
(The picture is a bit blurry.  She wouldn't stand still enough.)


My husband doing his part in making butter.


Me helping in making the butter.


Even Hondo helped out.  
But really he ended up rolling the jar around the kitchen floor.


Finally after everyone helping and watching an episode of Busy Town Mysteries it was done.I poured out the buttermilk from the bowl and my husband ended up drinking it I think.  I can't find it.  I was going to use it to make ranch dressing or butter milk pancakes for breakfast, but my husband got to it first.  Then I rinsed the last of the buttermilk from the butter.

Finally after all that work I mixed in some salt.  Then put it in a small airtight container and put it in the refrigerator to harden. I used it haven't had a chance to use it for any cooking, but I put some of my husband's home-made bread (he makes the bread in our house) and it tasted great.
 

2 comments:

  1. We've tried doing this 2 times, and I can't seem to get it right. I never have any buttermilk to pour off. It all goes together. Maybe using the wrong kind of cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it took us a long while like an hour. we watched a movie while we were doing it. so it didn't seem to long.

    i've done this a few times myself and learned that the trick is not to shake it to long or to short. once it starts to seperate you do it for a few minutes longer.

    ReplyDelete