Monday, August 29, 2011

Flags and Wrapping Paper

Two weeks ago we started into our study of the later haft of American History.  We have picked up were we left off last year with learning about the slavery and the Underground Railroad.  

Dare-Devil Boy has expressed that's he's enjoying the books and the subject covered this year so far.  Even though it has been the first two weeks.  A huge improvement over the previous years when he looked at the books and wanted nothing to do with them.  I'm so glad that we've changed into a program that he loves and has great books that he enjoys.


In the last two weeks we've learned about the Underground Railroad and have gone into learning about the Civil War.  Like every year we've done some great projects that help in our learning.  It takes a lot more planning on my part, but learning is more fun for my hands-on kids.
 
Fort Sumter Flag


Here is Dare-Devil Boy making homemade wrapping paper.  We would use it to wrap gifts a few days later.


Beyond doing hands-on projects, games and other things one thing my family enjoys are the period style meals.  I try hard to find recipes from books, the web and friends that will fit with whatever time period or unit we are covering.  In the course of doing so my family finds meals or things that they like and I get to add in something new to my menu of cooking. 

Sausage & Apples with Hoppin' John.  It was one of the best meals yet. 



1 comment:

  1. That looks tasty! I love cooking for school, and I have even tried to get one recipe per week. It looks like the kids are having a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete