Thursday, March 3, 2011

Being a Member of the Corps of Discovery

For the last few weeks we have spent out time learning about Lewis and Clark and their journey into the west.  It was a fairly short unit, but felt like we spent so long on it.  


All of use learned so much more about the Lewis and Clark then neither of knew.  It was a unit that Dare-Devil Boy(DD Boy) really enjoyed.  He has been looking forward to it all year.
  

To go along with this unit I made notebook pages to go along with the books we used in this unit.  You can find it under my Homeschool Printable Page.

Here is DD Boy with is keel boat that we made.  



Another close up picture of the keel boat and the Playmobil guys we used as the crew.  Yes, those are Roman soldiers as Lewis and Clark.  There are vikings and Celts too if you look closely.  I think there is even a monkey standing in as "Pomp" Sacajawea's baby, but I think he's hiding.  Sacajawea is somewhere on the boat too if you can find her.

We even made moccasins. A kit someone gave to us a while back.


Here is DD Boy and I reading the instructions.



Here is DD Boy giving it a try.


 Here is the final product.  Not to bad.  I even made one for WG (Wonder Girl). They like them so much that they use them as house slippers.



Here is a look at the Lewis and Clark meals I made for the unit.  I even made hardtack.  Hardtack gotta love the stuff it last forever.  I'm the only one that liked that. Oh well!! More for me. I got the recipes for these in a book called The Food Journal of Lewis & Clark.  But here is link to some of the recipes that are in the book. 

 This is Salmon with Sweet & New (I used red) Potatoes.



My husband's favorite: Duck with Three Golden Squash Corn and Sweet Potatoes.


One last story, someone was listening to me while we learned about the Corps of Discovery because the other day while we we outside playing WG and Hondo were playing Lewis & Clark.  I was pulling them in the wagon and WG keep yelling to her brother, "Row! Row, Clark, Row!"  I stopped pulling them to ask her what she was doing with her stick. Without missing a beat she told me that they were playing Lewis & Clark rowing up the river.  She was Lewis and Hondo was Clark.  When I inquired who I was she said, "Your the members pulling the boat up the river." 

No comments:

Post a Comment